Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Cutest Thing I've Ever Done

If you thought our heart dinner was good, be prepared to be blown away.

I had wanted to do something fun for Valentine's Day but I just couldn't figure out what. Abe and Klarissa came to town over the weekend and we were talking to them about their favorite vacations. They've been to Hawaii, Europe, New York and even Nebraska. They've done it all.

Jeff and I haven't had as many opportunities to go places. So I decided to start a little Valentine's tradition to make all the places we can't afford to visit come to us. This idea also helps me not have to worry about coming up with a cute new exciting idea every year. It was perfect!

I wrote up a quick poem for Jeff to invite him to our date. I have to share all these things because I'm so proud of myself. And if anyone wants to recreate our Valentine's date, I give you my blessing.


I figured a good place to begin this tradition would be France. I was worried about the outcome of my interpretation of France, but I must say I impressed myself. I slaved all day on a Julia Childs recipe for roasted chicken and a mousse cake. Luckily my mom was willing to take baby duty so dinner could be prepared and Amour Cafe could be assembled.


Okay. Please look at that awning. It really pulled everything together. Totally worth the hours I put into it.
Oh yeah, and we dressed up in prom attire. I couldn't resist after I realized I was in the same house as all my high school prom dresses and Jeff and I had never had a formal date night together. Call us cheesy, but I'm calling us romantic.

This is where Jeff tucked in my chair and I almost knocked the whole table over. Notice the sheer terror on my face.

After Jeff got situated I announced, "Jeff, the best part of all is that we can see the Eiffel Tower from our seats." Then I pulled the blinds up and there was a picture of the Eiffel Tower behind them. Too good, right?


The night was perfect. Eli decided to join us for dinner and enjoyed sucking on green beans. It was a fun getaway. I'm glad I decided to do something cute for Valentine's Day. I am usually not a fan of the holiday, but I think this new tradition might make Love Day a new favorite holiday for me.

6 comments:

Rebecca said...

Thank you for giving me your blessing to recreate this evening for myself and my spouse. However, what if I want YOU to recreate it for us? Is that also allowed?

Nicely done.

Klarissa said...

If we would have known the Amour Cafe was happening, we would have for sure stayed an extra day! Adorable awning - well done Sarah!
What are you going to do for an Omaha theme next?

Anonymous said...

that is the coolest thing ever. you're awesome.

jlthomas said...

So cute Sarah! What a fun idea! My grandma use to do something like that for my mom's family and would "take" the family away to different places for a meal and education about a new culture. I've been wanting to try it myself, now with your inspiration I'll have to do it!

LC said...

sarah this is why i love you.
so clever and cute!!!
my prom dresses are all downstairs....maybe cade & i will go to paris...

jlthomas said...

Looks like a romantic Bachelor date...complete with the camera crew. My favorite line..."and even Nebraska".