Wednesday, August 05, 2009

My First Love

When I was growing up, we had the same meal every Sunday for as long as I can remember. We mixed it up a little bit with either chicken or roast beef, but it was always served with mashed potatoes and carrots. The only time we strayed from that menu is if we had guests over and then my mom would be sure to add peas and brownies for dessert. You would think that after years and years of eating the same thing every week, everyone would be sick of it. Surprisingly, the kids would get angry if our Sunday meal was tampered with.

I left home for college and missed my Sunday dinners at times more than my own family members. Even though I had seen the meal be prepared millions of times, I just knew it would not turn out the same if it wasn't cooked by my parents. So every Sunday my stomach was left unsatisfied.

I eventually got used to the fact that the famous Thomas Family Sunday meal was no longer a part of my weekly staple, so I moved on. When I got married, I thought maybe we could start the tradition up again. Jeff was not too fond of eating the same thing every week. I was officially weened off the meal. All I had left were the memories.

Until last Sunday. Jeff asked me if I wanted to cook my favorite meal. I had never cooked it before all by myself, so I was slightly hesitant, but I couldn't resist. I called up my dad to make sure I got all the little details right about the meal. We were peeling potatoes in no time with a roast in the oven. Jeff probably won't let this be an Excell tradition, but I may be able to swing it every now and then. Welcome back, Sunday Dinner. I've missed you so much.


4 comments:

jlthomas said...

You even kept the taters in the pot! You've made me childhood-sick.

Glen said...

The tradition lives on...

You know, I love this meal so much I used to fix it for my companions in the mission field. They loved me forever for it.

Way to go. It is a great Sunday meal.

The Stevens Family said...

lol! I love having roast for dinner! It truly is a utah sunday thing :) I think jeff should get used to it... and bring the tradition back! :)

Kim said...

I'm always so happy to hear when you cook something delicious for Jeff and you to eat. Way to go on making gravy. That usually scares people the most. It looks like it was very scrumptious. Way to go, Sarah!!