Sunday, July 10, 2016

The Start of Summer

I've told you before, but Eli drops his drawers the second he gets home from school every day. No one was more excited than him that summer was just around the corner, so he could wear his comfy cotton shorts 24/7. I was excited at the thought of escaping the random laundry piles Eli left behind after his wardrobe changes that often made me question if Eli had been transfigured.
Eli had kindergarten graduation. You know, I thought I was a non-supporter of making a spectacle of finishing the first year of school, but it was actually just about the cutest thing I ever saw and I can see what all the hype is about. Eli was a total doll. He danced. He sang. He was sooooo nervous before the big performance. It was a good wrap up to a great year. 
And as if the performance alone wasn't the icing on the cake of a fabulous first year of school, Eli handed me this little gem which officially converted me to the shenanigans of a kindergarten graduation. 
Summer started right away with a visit from cousins! Madison loved following me around usually because Lincoln was always close by and she LOVES Baby Lincoln. 
This perfectly depicts her time with us. 
They had the whole trampoline to themselves, but she insisted on positioning herself as squished next to Lincoln as possible. It was hilarious and adorable. 
Unfortunately Lincoln wasn't quite having it because he was breaking in -- I kid you not -- 6 teeth (at least, including all his molars)! As soon as the Golden crew left, he crashed and wouldn't let me do anything but lay with him while we watched our favorite unnamed guilty pleasure reality TV shows for 2 straight hours. 
He had been fine all day, but turned miserable so quickly. I finally took his temperature after he started refusing to leave my chest and it was 104 the first time I took it! Yikes!! I gave him a dose of Tylenol and luckily the fever dropped almost immediately to a more reasonable temperature and never quite made it back up that high, but we almost made a quick trip to the ER. It was so weird because he had no runny nose, no cough, no nothing except for the fever and teeth. But the fever seemed way too high for just teeth coming in. It was a weird day, but he turned it around by the next day and pulled himself out of the high temps with a few more teeth to show for it. 
Eli's birthday was on the first day of summer this year. He was so, so excited to turn 6!
The boys went through a DinoTrux phase (which they're already over, Boo!). Eli got Garby for his birthday. Had I know before purchasing Garby that he is the show's comic relief through bodily functions, I would not have so eagerly bought him, but Eli loved him and of course found him hilarious, so we'll call that a birthday success. 
Eli also got a daddy date where he and Jeff went to pick out a bike. We accidentally backed over Eli's last bike mere hours after he had finally learned how to ride it without training wheels. It was so sad. The good news is it's true what they say about riding a bike. Once you learn, you never forget, Eli still picked it right up even though it had almost been a year since he had given it a try. 
Eli requested a BB8 cake. I think he liked it? Is this the face of a boy who likes his birthday cake? I'm still trying to decide. 
There we go. 
Shout out to my Grandpa for teaching Eli how to use a lighter. I should also shout out that I may or may not have caught my boys with a lighter in their room one evening after hearing suspicious, quiet giggling. From what I've gathered, a lighter had fallen out of where I usually keep them (way up high) in the pantry with all the moving and cleaning I had been up to. The boys snuck the lighter up to their room and were "just trying to start the carpet on fire." No big deal. 

Cue lecture, lecture, lecture, fear tactics, more lecture, and relocation/lock down of all lighters. Until his birthday. And then I gave my blossoming pyro full reign of the flames.
The best birthday surprise of all was that Eli's cousins from Guam came into town just in time for the celebration! More to come on a fun weekend with them!

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Haha! I love it all! Madison and Lincoln on the tramp, Eli Emoji graduating from kindergarten, the BB8 cake, and lighting the carpet on fire. Let's hope they don't try those types of shenanigans while you're in Mom and Dad's house!