Friday, August 31, 2018

I'll See You At Court

When I married Jeff, I didn't foresee the future of planning to meet his family at court. I didn't suspect I'd have to lay my life on the judge's stand as I awaited the outcome of my future. I didn't expect to shriek over the phone at beloved family members, "I'll see you at court!" But that's what life with his family has come to. Fortunately. 

Hear ye, hear ye, the life laid on the judge's stand was voluntarily and eagerly put there as my children anxiously awaited the arrival of their cousins at the courthouse Jeff's family rented out for our first annual Excell family reunion. 
The place was huge and the kids got happily lost in each unique nook and cranny. 
And when they weren't exploring inside, serenity and adventure could both be found outside. 
Pounding gavels were exchanged for pounding forks eager to scarf down each delicious meal to be had in the monster kitchen.
Juvenile delinquents quickly formed gangs. 


The wardens kept a close eye on the surroundings.
Sometimes restraining the unruly visitors of the court. 
Okay I'm done with the analogy as it's becoming too difficult to compare our delightful family reunion to a gloomy court/jail. Because we had a hoot-hollerin' time. 

I mean, with a house full of boys, the hootin', hollerin', and fun is all inevitable. 
As are the mass amounts of pancake stacks required to feed the rowdy bunch each morning. 
We ventured away from the house for a hike one morning. 




David showed the swarming crowd the secrets to widdling. David informed his grandsons that they weren't real men unless they carried a pocket knife.

Eli went to scout camp the week after this incident and dutifully bought himself a pocket knife to prove to his grandpa and the world once and for all that he is finally a man.


Perhaps the best part of our stay was the bicycle-built-for-two we unknowingly rented with the courthouse. 

Twas trickier to ride than my face is suggesting. Especially for the taller folk stuck pedaling froggy style in the back. 
Ben and Tana made a giant bubble recipe that provided a whole afternoon's worth of entertainment for more than just the kids. 

Then Mary and Laura gathered a few eager spectators for a slime making party. 
Babies banished to their high chairs. :) Not really. Though they do look slightly dazed and forgotten about here.
Games in the great room. 

More bubbles that could swallow a person whole. Especially a tiny person. 

After check out we went to a baseball field to indulge in the family's favorite sport. 


There's no one else I'd rather go to court with. I rule that this get together was guilty of first-degree fun. 

3 comments:

Kim said...

All the court jargon was very fun to read. You are very clever in your writing. the matching t-shirts are always a hit with me. Looks like a fun family gathering. Loved the bicycle built for two photo of you and Jeff.

David and Mary said...

I am enjoying all your posts about the summer! It has been fun to remember all the fun things that happened. The court house was a hit!

Rebecca said...

That looked so fun! It got me excited all over again for our upcoming Thomas family reunion! Big bubbles and making slime were great ideas!

"Guilty of first-degree fun" was a great way to end the post!