Sunday, November 17, 2019

Officially Opinionated

Hey, look! We celebrated Halloween!
Lincoln was Gekko from his favorite TV show PJ Masks. 
Jonah was Catboy from the same show. 
Carson was...
Hey Carson! Turn around, this way! There we go. He was a Jazz player. 
When Carson tried to explain to the residents of Nevada that he was dressed as a "Jazz Player," several thought he meant he was dressed as someone who plays jazz music. And that frustrated him. Rightfully so.  

Eli was all in on the Dodgers. Even though they had just lost. Which everyone mentioned to Eli. Which frustrated him. Rightfully so. 


I am trying to be frugal this year, and surprisingly the more frugal thing to do was to buy Halloween costumes. I found Jonah and Lincoln's for $10 each which was way cheaper than what it would have cost me to make them for, Eli already had all of his gear, and I just had to buy a $5 shirt for Carson and sewed a few things onto it. I've easily spent up to or more than $100 on Halloween costumes, so I was proud of my frugality but sad I wasn't able to get creative with their costumes this year.

It should also be noted that my kids officially have their own opinions and would not cave to my family-themed costume ideas. The end of an era. 


The boys and I went to the Excell Spooktacular. Jeff was on duty and had to stay behind. I brought back an old favorite costume -- a shooting star. Lincoln stole my gun so I had to improvise. 
The food was freaky, the root beer was frothy, and the costumes were clever. Christmas is great and all, but I love Halloween!
We played a fun pumpkin bowling game, did a cake walk, played a zombie game, and had a fishing station. Another fun party by Mary!
Jonah and I hang out for an hour twice a week at Lincoln's community preschool. They have these weird tube toys that we can't figure out how to play with other than by sticking them on our fingers. But what a way to play with them, amirite, Jonah? 
Waiting for Dad to carve your pumpkin is hard work. 
The payoff. 
Oh heeeeeeey. I carved a pumpkin just long enough to get a picture of me carving a pumpkin so that when my kids are going to college and reflecting on their lives and begin to assess that I never, no not once, ever carved a pumpkin in their entire childhood, and begin to accuse me of being an unenthusiastic-for-the-holidays mom, I could pull out this picture I'll be carrying in my purse for just such an occasion and say, "Nay, children. I did do fun things sometimes on holidays. Like the time in 2019 when I stuck a knife in a pumpkin. And then vowed to never, no not ever do it again. Because I hate carving pumpkins. But I did it once. And you should know I gave it a good try."
These three are pumpkin carving enthusiasts though. I'll let them have all the fun. 
Please notice there has been a wardrobe change. Every party or activity we went to Lincoln and Carson would pick a new costume for it. Those two have more in common than they want to believe. 

 We're all sugared up and counting down the days until Christmas.

No comments: