Saturday, October 24, 2009

Fun with Fondant

I have very few hobbies. Jeff has made fun of me for this. The only thing I really "love" doing is running/exercising. So throughout our marriage I have attempted to try various things that one day could evolve into a passion. Today, it was cake decorating.

I wanted to try fondant because you can do some really awesome things with it. I found a recipe online that uses just marshmallows, powdered sugar, and crisco for greasing. It was easy enough, but things did get a little messy.
Wait a second... I remember Jeff striking a similar pose in the mere first weeks of our marriage...
Anyway, back to the cake. Things definitely got messy. You can't tell, but that counter has a nice, thick layer of Crisco under that powdered sugar/corn starch.
Jeff nibbled away at the scraps of marshmallow fondant and said it surprisingly tasted good. I was afraid to try the fondant. And I wonder if it is going to fall off the cake when we cut it. We'll have to see tomorrow at the Excell Halloween Party!

Cake decorating and marshmallow fondant get a big thumbs up.

7 comments:

Rebecca said...

Oh my goodness, Sarah! That cake looks so cute! You did a great job! I thought it would be all cracked and lumpy but it looks great. You'll have to teach me how to do it.

Oh, and by the way, Jeff--none of us Thomases have hobbies. It's just the way we are.

jlthomas said...

I'm so impressed Sarah! I've heard fondant can be hard to work with. It looks really cute!

Jacob and I have similar discussions about his lack of hobbies. I think watching sports is his only one, if you call that a hobby.

Klarissa said...

Sarah - well done! You should open up shop with your cake fondant skills. Can I order a cake in the shape of a turkey for Thanksgiving?

Kim said...

Not only was that cake cute--but I think that apron is the cutest thing ever!

You haven't yet missed our family Halloween party, so start making another cake (shake it up a bit and put ghosts and bats on it) and we'll see you the day after Halloween at Grandma's.

The Stevens Family said...

WHOOAA! Good job sarah! It looks amazing!

LC said...

hobbies are for speed daters.


also, your fondant looks so good sarah. you're so creative! i have wanted to try it for so long but i'm nervous too! how did yours taste?

Laura said...

Loved the cake. When Kaelynn won it she was so happy. She said "I am glad I got it because I wanted it so bad". We had a super fun weekend. Glad you could be there.