Thursday, December 17, 2009

Safety First?

I have a funny strategy when I am buying things. Especially the expensive things. Take for example my first car. My dad and I went to many a car lot in search of the perfect teenager car. We came across a black Lancer. I instantly knew I wanted it. No questions about it. I would have bought it right on the spot, but my dad made us at least take it for a test drive.

Another example: our current apartment. I heard the rent was $275 and without even looking at the place, we were signing the paperwork.

My buying strategy goes a little something like this: Do a little internet research on the product in question. Decide price range. First cute product found within price range is the perfect fit. Then, my heart is forever set even if a better option is found.

Such was the case of the craigslist crib. Jeff and I decided to buy a crib for one of our Christmas presents. We decided the most we would pay for the crib would be $250. I looked online at Target and found some cute cribs that were in our price-range...until I clicked "check-out." With tax and shipping, the cribs were at least $300. Dang.

Then came craigslist. Because a crib is an item we will have for a long time, and I feel it should be very safe, I was a little against buying a used crib. But my frugalness kicked in and I surrendered to craigslist. Much to my surprise, a crib for $60!
And, oh my goodness! It was all in one piece. I e-mailed the seller, and we were over to check it out within a few hours. We walked in the door and the crib was not set up. It looked nice enough, and in no time we were out their door with a new crib! I was so excited the whole way home. What a good deal! We saved so much money! It's in great shape! And then we set it up, and I began to regret my rash decision.

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

Wow! That crib looks great! Was the mattress included?

Our crib rocks like that, but if we tighten the screws, it stops. Are you sure the screws are tight enough?

jlthomas said...

Very cute! It looks a lot like ours! Hope you get it stable, I'm sure Rebecca is right. If not, wait until Walmart has their baby days sale, I got ours new for $89 but the mattress was not included.

Laura said...

I think it looks good. I hope you can get it to work the way you want it.

LC said...

haha. a rocking chair and crib in one? just tighten the screws. or i guess you could just stack a bunch of things underneath it, to assure it won't collapse.