Monday, October 30, 2017

6 Months of Jonah + More!

We've reached the half year mark with this master builder. We know he has a future of Lego building because he's already begun impersonating them (see right hand's perfect Lego man hand positioning). 
Jonah has been working hard this month to sit up. He has a wet noodle quality about him that caused me to postpone sitting efforts with him, but I decided to give him a try a few days ago. He had more abdominal strength than I expected and surprised me with several seconds-long strings of skillful sitting. He's on his way!
He's mostly perfecting his roll. Just this week he has begun to discover his mobility as he methodically twists himself around on the floor. 
Here's the Jonah 6-month synopsis:
  • Rolling, sitting(ish), smiling (excessively), giggling, general adorableness.
  • He sleeps through the night until 5:00-6:00 AM, nurses, back to bed.
  • Naps at 9:00 and 1:00 for 2-3 hours. 
  • Travels 13 hours in 1 day with ease.
  • Tried baby food for the first time. Loves sweet potatoes, apple based food combinations, and is working towards fostering a positive relationship with green beans. 
  • Is the beneficiary of many a compliment on his quick smiles, pleasant demeanor, and good looks. 
  • Finally, we've got mama's boy #2. This boy has always got one eye on me and is always eager to throw smiles my way no matter how far he has to twist to give them. We love Mr. Jonah Man!

Since the Dodgers made it to the World Series (Jeff's favorite team and his favorite sport), we ran to the store on World Series Opening Game Night One Kickoff Tipoff Shoot Off Batters Up night (fill in whatever language applies to baseball) so that we could grab some hot dogs and Cracker Jacks and chips and soda and all the other things to whip up a baseball-esque meal. 

It was while we were doing this shopping that an innocent bystander passed our bus-sized shopping cart packed with little boys, and simply mumbled with wide eyes, "That's a lot." I thought it was really rude of him to judge how many Cracker Jack boxes I had crammed into our cart. I mean, maybe he's not a Dodgers fan and didn't realize it was the big touchdown goalie turkey shoot that night but sheesh. The nerve of some people. 
 My favorite genre of click bait is the kind that involves kids misinterpreting their homework assignments. My dreams came true when Eli handed me a paper which contained my favorite source of laughs and I didn't even have to click a-once to get the giggle. (See #3.)
The instructions were to "Combine the sentences "I like apples." and "I like grapes." to make one sentence. Eli's answer? "I like fruit." 

Hahahahaha! I loved it so so much. I asked him about it and he said, "Yeah. I still don't know why I missed that." I explained the right answer, but then told him I liked his answer better.

Perhaps Lincoln is worried that as the 3rd child I missed his special moments like his first steps, his first time sucking on a binky, and his first time trying baby food because he keeps trying to recreate these moments for me. So thoughtful of him. 
What is intended to be Eli's lunch always ends up being Lincoln's afternoon snack. I pack Eli a nice, made-with-love lunch every morning. Eli takes it to school. Eats the M & Ms out of it, brings it home, and Lincoln swiftly breaks into it to eat the uneaten portions for his afternoon snack. It's really a brilliant system though Lincoln's going to have a real problem should Eli ever decide that eating lunch isn't such a bad idea. 
Lunch is especially important for a boy with Eli's interest in exercise. He can frequently be found lapping around the house, dropping to the ground for push ups, or snatching my weights while attempting to reassure me with "Don't worry, Mom. I've done this naked."

I'm suddenly more worried than I was before.
Whew! That was a lot.

The Cracker Jacks. I just finished them off and that guy from the store might have been right.

2 comments:

Kim said...

Oh my goodness!! This had me laughing A LOT!! Your description of going to the store and the sporting event you were buying food for and the Cracker Jacks and all the boys. TOOOOO FUNNY!!!

And I see why you enjoyed Eli’s interpretation of his schoolwork question. Probably funniest was how Eli couldn’t figure out why he got it wrong. Haha!!

Nice Cracker Jack tie-in at the end. I give you an A+ on this chapter of your life.

Rebecca said...

"Don't worry, Mom. I've done this naked." That line killed me! Ha!