Sunday, February 11, 2018

Surgery + January Funnies

You know, I haven't said much about this on the blog because I try to think about my boys as teenagers reading the blog and the level of embarrassment they would feel with the things I share about their lives on the internet, and this is one of those touchy areas. 

I will say no more than Jonah was birthed with a minor defect called hypospadias. Google if you dare. It's not gross per se, but it does involve the nether regions. It is 100% treatable with surgery, so to surgery we did go. 

Here is Jonah tired, starving, about to be sliced open, and still an absolute angel. He's a dream. 
When we went back to see Jonah after surgery, he had 3 nurses (who weren't even his nurses) swooning over him and his adorable, groggy sweetness.
He was a champ!
The evening of his surgery was a little rough, but the day after surgery Jonah hardly even acted uncomfortable. He just went about his life like it was nothing. However, 48 hours after surgery, we had to remove his bandages and that was a sad day. One crummy day was really the worst of it though. He quickly bounced right back to his happy self!
Enough about the nether regions, let's move on to laughing together about the silly things my kids have done.

Eli brought home this spelling test:
I don't have the whole story, but my guess is the teacher told the class to spell "tie," Eli thought, "I don't know how to spell tie," so he went with the closest thing he did know how to spell, "rope."

Carson and Lincoln spent an afternoon mining.
I had been pestering the boys to get their thank you notes written for their Christmas gifts. Eli has been working on his typing in school, so he asked if he could type his thank you notes. Just desperate for him to get any kind of appreciation out to his gifters, I agreed. This is what Eli wrote:

Thanks for the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
To: Grandma and Grandpa
From: Eli

He got it all typed up and printed, and then I reminded him he needed to send a thank you to his other grandparents. He lit up and said, "I can just print the same thing again!"
When his practically identical notes were printed, he noticed a lot of white space on the page, leaving his conscious feeling a touch guilty. He pulled out some of my craft supplies, but just ended up cutting even more corners in his thank you note project. (This time literally.)
Carson and I went on a mommy date to the burger joint I used to work at in high school. Never has he thought I was cooler than in that moment. He then proclaimed he wanted to work at the same place when he grew up.
They won't all fit in the bath for much longer!
My boys have recently discovered "Diary of a Wimpy Kid." One afternoon they were talking about it and I dropped the bombshell that I had diaries just like Greg Heffley. They looked at me with as much longing disbelief as if I had told them I turned into a ninja after they went to bed. They refused to believe I was cool enough to have a real version of Diary of a Wimpy Kid. I had them on the hook, so I went and grabbed all of my elementary school journals.

When I wrote those journals all those years ago, I envisioned my kids one day reading them. As life brought me boy after boy, I slowly lost hope that they'd ever express any interest in my preteen written ramblings. It was a sweet moment to have my boys enthralled in that part of my life that I had wrongly assumed would be lost on the boy-ness of my kids.
Carson built an impressive fort all by himself for Lincoln and Jonah one morning. 
I was given a crown at the end of a Young Women's lesson one Sunday. I laughed as I accepted it and tried to predict which boy would be bold enough to own the crown. Carson had the most interest, but the overwhelming pink curved his urges to try it on. Lincoln, however, had no reservations.
I came downstairs one morning to find Carson sitting on the kitchen island, waiting to announce, "It looks like a stocking, right, Mom?!?"
Jonah learned how to stand up in his crib. Which means 1) We need to lower his crib, and 2) I've spent most of nap time repeatedly (and gently) knocking him over.
 He's slow to settle down after he gleefully waves at me each time I enter the room to reposition him. Makes it hard to be mad at his persistence. He also insists on throwing his binky over the edge each time he stands up. Cute little stinker!

1 comment:

Kim said...

“I am spending money like it grows on trees.” HA!! It was probably your Dad’s money you were spending!! It makes me happy you kept a journal and that your boys have an interest in your journal.

As far as Jonah reading this blog post in the future—I would say you treated the subject very delicately. Nice job!