Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Pregnant Awkwardness

You know what's a little awkward?

Being pregnant

and sitting without a husband

in singles ward.

The little guy in the womb was being so wiggly last week in church. It is a fun distraction to sit and watch my shirt move as he punches me from the inside. It reminded me of when I announced the new addition in singles ward good news minute. This was how it went down:

RS President: Does anyone else have any news they would like to share?
Me: I'm pregnant!
*gasp*
RS President: For those of you who don't know, Sarah is married to Brother Excell in the ward.
*sigh*

In the ward, people are constantly in and out. I think most of the girls know me now, but when I announced I was pregnant, I'm guessing only about half of them knew me. As I thought about the big gasp followed by what now seems to be a sigh of relief, I realized half of them probably thought I was just another single member of their ward. They're used to hearing about engagements, missions, and dates so hearing a baby announcement must have been a bit startling.

Another awkward situation was when a lady thought I was engaged because I don't have a wedding band. She told me I was getting married too young. I just thought, "Lady, I'm already married AND pregnant, but I'm not about to tell you that."

Or when one of my professors started making fat jokes about pregnant ladies shopping at Motherhood Maternity, oblivious of my growing belly.

So as if I wasn't already awkward enough, pregnancy has only enhanced this for me. It's all most definitely worth it though. And at least I get some funny stories out of it.

7 comments:

Rebecca said...

I loved your RS story!

Ben, Tana, B.A., and Dirk said...

So funny, I love it and wonder if you will have more stories as your belly gets big.

I am in a RS group that does yoga. We take turns watching the kids and have a lady who is licensed teaching us. I love it, definitely a highlight of the week.

Kim said...

Funny story. I love all your stories.

Nat and Charles said...

Yeah, I heard that gasp too in our ward. I know how you feel! Those "oh, I can't believe she still comes to church when she's a single pregnant teenager...." Yeah.

Unknown said...

That's funny Sarah... at least they didn't think you swallowed an alien! (inside joke)

jlthomas said...

Your stories are the greatest! This one definitely didn't let me down!

Anonymous said...

I could not stop laughing. I'm sure the sisters that didn't know you were Jeff's wife WERE very surprised.. ha..