Thursday, October 21, 2010

Bread Winner

No, this has nothing to do with my new website. Or Jeff getting a job. This has everything to do with the most awesome bread we have ever tasted in our lives. I have a hard time finding this recipe online every time we make it, and we don't have a printer right now, and I'm too lazy to write down the recipe, so I am going to post it here. It's super cheap, super easy, super yummy and super addicting. We have made this bread about every other day for the past two weeks. Jeff and I each eat a loaf basically in a 24-hour period of time. Give it a try! It's pretty hard to mess up.

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
  • 2/3 cup white sugar
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons active dry yeast
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 6 cups bread flour (I like to use 5 cups)




Directions:

  1. In a large bowl, dissolve the sugar in warm water, and then stir in yeast. Allow to proof until yeast resembles a creamy foam.
  2. Mix salt and oil into the yeast. Mix in flour one cup at a time. Knead dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth. Place in a well oiled bowl, and turn dough to coat. Cover with a damp cloth. Allow to rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
  3. Punch dough down. Knead for a few minutes, and divide in half. Shape into loaves, and place into two well oiled 9x5 inch loaf pans. Allow to rise for 30 minutes, or until dough has risen 1 inch above pans.
  4. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes.

Enjoy!

9 comments:

skinners said...

i am totally trying this! have you always used bread flour? i'm wondering if it could work with all-purpose... (i have a little girl home with the stomach flu so a trip to the store isn't possible.) looks delish!

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to try this!!!

Kim said...

WOW!! I'm impressed with your culinary skills and the fact that you're not afraid to cook with yeast.

LC said...

i'm going to try this probably.

Rebecca said...

I also want to know if you use bread flour.

sarah said...

Yes, I use bread flour. I haven't tried it with regular flour.

jlthomas said...

Looks yummy Sarah! I wonder if it would work well it wheat flour, ever tried that?

sarah said...

I haven't done wheat flour yet, but I have thought about it. I have heard for wheat bread though, you use half wheat and half white.

Anonymous said...

Your site is really good and the posts are just wonderful. Thank you and keep doing your great work.