Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Bugged

After many nights of tossing and turning, I booted myself to the couch. I have hit the uncomfortable phase.

I'm finding something significant I miss about our old apartment - it was upstairs and it rarely had bugs. We got moths frequently, but the only other bug I really remember is one daddy long leg. Basement apartment = bug city. I am learning so many new things to take into consideration for our next place: give it a good smell before you sign any contracts, the bug factor, neighbors.

Jeff frequently asks me how on earth I lived in Georgia for so long with my deathly fear of bugs. Throughout the day I drive Jeff crazy pointing at lint balls or crumbs screaming "bug!" My "bugs" used to be all in my head, but the last month my worst fears have come true. Now Jeff hears me scream, "Bug! OH MY GOSH! IT REALLY IS A BUG! Ewwww! It's a WORM! That's disgusting. I hate basement apartments!"

We have found two worms in our house and a huge spider in Eli's room. There was also a weird collection of rollie-pollies on one of our window sills. Every time I have discovered bugs it's been while cleaning the house. Good excuse not to clean? I think so. But then I hate the thought of leaving something on the ground and giving them a hiding place.

When I was little in Georgia I remember thinking bugs would play games with people. I used to imagine them all gathered together inside a wall and I thought they would try to run across the floor to the other side of the room without getting squished. Insect Roulette.

I remember the silverfish, scorpions, praying mantis, and spiders in Georgia. My sister and I used to put our hair over our ears every night to make sure bugs wouldn't crawl in them and lay eggs. Perhaps that's where my fear stems from - the horror stories my older siblings would tell me of bugs laying eggs in my body. Something stuck and now poor Jeff has to deal with it.

Here's to good bug spray and hoping that the bugs win that game I think they play so I don't have to see them scurrying across the floor anymore.

5 comments:

Glen said...

Bugs Bugs Bugs... In Georgia we had a pest control company that sprayed regularly. Kim got so used to having a bug company that when we moved to Utah we had to have a bug guy come by. Why would we need that because we never had a bug company before we left Utah? But alas, she got used to it and needed it.

Sarah, your siblings should all chip in an give you a summer of pest control since they enjoyed freaking you out about those little critters.

Kim said...

I think I'm rethinking coming to visit you... And I can't believe you're so uncomfortable when you don't even look that big.

jlthomas said...

I totally understand Sarah, I hate bugs too. I use to see huge spiders in our apartment in Hood River and have Jacob come home on his lunch break to kill them (He only worked across the street). I think I gave Natalie a complex then because she started to see imaginary spiders and freak out. So now I try to be better and pull out the long hose of the vacuum and vacuum them up. good luck!

Rebecca said...

"My sister and I used to put our hair over our ears every night..."

What do you mean "used to"?

sarah said...

Oh Becky. I thought you might still be covering your ears at night. Maybe I'll make you some ear booties for Christmas this year.