Friday, May 28, 2010

We Like to Move It Move It

Nothing like moving two weeks before your due date, right? My mom moved in the middle of her pregnancy with my brother, Ben. Ben came five weeks early. Jeff's mom moved a little bit before Jeff was scheduled to come and he was two weeks early. Our mothers are convinced the stress of moving sent them into labor. I can only hope this move sends me into labor. I'm ready for this baby to be born before he gets any bigger.

Let me tell you the saga of our apartments.

It all started with things getting a little rocky over at our first place. We were fed up with our whole situation one Saturday and decided to start exploring other living options. We drove around town only to find all the apartments within our price range were less than satisfactory.

We went to lunch quite discouraged. Mid lunch, Jeff got a phone call. A phone call from a guy he knows who owns some apartments. To our surprise, he was calling to let us know he just had the perfect two bedroom apartment open up. We were even more surprised to find the apartment was in our price range! Awesome. We moved in no questions asked.

We soon found out there was a good chance the landlord's wife would be getting a job up north and they would have to move, leaving his apartments in need of a manager. The landlord decided Jeff was a worthy candidate for the job. For the last few months we have anxiously been waiting to hear whether or not his wife got the job.

A couple days ago, my breakfast was interrupted by a knock on the door. It was the landlord coming over to share the great news that his wife did get that job. Oh. And there are termites in our current apartment.

SICK! I was overcome with excitement to keep a little extra money by being the apartment managers. But as excited as I was about that, I couldn't stop thinking about all those little bugs crawling around in our walls. And then to bring home a new baby to a bug infested house? It just wasn't sitting with me very well. Jeff was even getting a little squirmy at the thought of living in the middle of a termite dome.

I went to my last shift of work with termites on the brain. Jeff called me a few hours into my shift with more news from the landlord. They have to do a lot of work on our current apartment so our landlord showed Jeff a new apartment he would like to move us into. I haven't seen it yet, but Jeff said he really likes it. And get this - it has a dishwasher! We are just moving up one kitchen appliance at a time. I can only hope it also has a garbage disposal.

So two weeks til baby. And we're on to our third apartment. It's an even shorter move than our last one, but it's still a pain to pack everything up. And silly me - I was worried I'd be bored these last two weeks before the baby comes.

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

You are crazy! Let's hope Eli stays put a little while longer so you can get settled...

Laura said...

That is a sad story. I hope you get everything ready before Eli comes.

Anonymous said...

You better call me if you need help moving! unless you are moving today or Monday :) ha...

The Stevens Family said...

Oh man Sarah! You guys are crazy! lol! I hope Eli comes early too, but not too early so you can get settled in the new apartment. :-) We saw Jeff selling the red car the other day because we were actually moving into our new apartment where he was making the transaction. :-)