Friday, August 05, 2011

I Once Had Six Kids

After a week of babysitting several nieces and nephews, I've made it back to our home to enjoy the silence. Or whatever silence a one-year old will allow in a home. Which is a lot more than six kids will allow in a home.

During the quiet moments of this morning, I kept finding myself almost getting up to go get a screaming baby. Then I realized there was no screaming baby and that my brain was just going through babysitting withdrawals. The funny thing is, I didn't even know there was such a thing as babysitting withdrawals. But let me assure you, there is. It involves:

Unnecessary bursts of baby talk.
Hiding in your best hiding spot only to realize no one is seeking you.
Disney songs hummed where Britney Spears once was.
Feeling the urge to walk around the house in oversized high heels while going by a fake name.
Unintentional rocking, swaying and bouncing.
Explaining why you're doing things even though no one's asking "Why?" anymore.
Cravings of corn dogs, cheese and Go-Gurt.
Being on the lookout for bedtime story inspiration all day.
Cringing whenever a pan drops, the doorbell sounds or a phone rings.
Feeling as though maybe having an only child isn't a bad idea.





Now, if you don't mind, I've got some sleep to catch up on.

2 comments:

Laura said...

You are a brave girl. Jeff should let you sleep all weekend long. Glad you survived!

Kim said...

I thought you held up exceptionally well!!!