Wednesday, November 30, 2011

More Pregnant Awkwardness

With Eli I wrote about feeling awkward during pregnancy. Here's the trouble this go round:

I feel weird because I don't really know who knows I'm pregnant, and I can't really tell if people can tell I'm pregnant by looking at me yet. My biggest issues with this are at church.

I want to announce over the pulpit that I'm pregnant because I hate being the victim of critical eyes wondering if the holidays got the best of me. Which they did. But not as bad as it appears they have.

At every ward gathering, I find myself fighting the urge to proclaim to every person within earshot that I'm with child. Which I hate doing anyway. It's challenging to casually slip my pregnancy status into a conversation with someone I barely know but I see all the time so I want to explain myself to them. It's a terrible pickle to be in. Speaking of pickles....I'm pregnant!...

That's about as smooth as all my announcements have gone.

Until today at pack meeting. I finally got the chance to talk casually about my pregnancy with one of the den leaders when she asked my due date. I was a little surprised because I hadn't told any of the cub scout people that I'm pregnant. I've told a few people in the ward, but I couldn't decide if she heard it through neighborhood chit chat or if I have just finally gotten round enough to give people the courage to approach me about it.

It must have been the curse of me not being able to gracefully announce I'm pregnant that left me replying, "Um. I'm not pregnant."

I don't know what came over me. I swore I'd never do that to someone. I told myself even if someone asked me when I was due and I wasn't pregnant I'd lie and pretend I was pregnant. That is one of the absolute worst conversations to be a part of, yet there I was. Needlessly inflicting the most horrific conversation on me and a sweet unsuspecting den leader.

For one half of a second there was sheer terror on her face.

But luckily she had enough confidence in her grapevine source or pregnant belly detection skills. Her terror turned to amusement as she nudged me on the shoulder and said, "Oh stop it."

Then we talked of pregnancy and the like. It was the least awkward pregnancy announcement of my life. Maybe I judged the "I'm Not Pregnant" stunt too quickly.
Despite my awkwardness, I have survived half a pregnancy. Unless baby decides to be born after 40 weeks. Which we're kind of hoping is the case. For now anyway.

I've been feeling baby quite a bit lately. I mostly only feel him at night though. During the day Eli's kicks and punches interfere.

I haven't had any cravings recently. I've actually had a tough time with food this whole pregnancy. Food I used to love doesn't sound great anymore. And when something does sound good I find myself having a hard time finishing it. This has been the biggest difference in my pregnancies.

Something I must have forgotten about is being out of breath all the time! I was talking to my brother on the phone the other day. After I walked up five stairs he asked me why I was running. It's bad.

Heartburn has already hit. I never ever have heartburn without a baby growing in my belly. If it's true that heartburn equals babies with a lot of hair (which I read a study saying it is true), then all this esophagus pain might be worth it.

That's all I can think of regarding pregnancy. It's been pleasantly uneventful. Here's a belly comparison between Eli and this baby. I had to flip the picture on the left so that I'm facing the same way. Please excuse the backwards numbers.

6 comments:

jlthomas said...

You look so cute! Can't wait to meet this little guy!

Kim said...

It looks like you're right on schedule with #2 according to #1 photos.

I laughed about Eli's kicks and punches. They would be a good distraction from noticing the little one's kicks and punches.

And I can't believe you denied your pregnancy to that poor lady. Good thing she was confident in her knowledge or it would have been a terribly, huge embarrassment for her.

Are the pictures and story of pack meeting soon to follow? That always makes for a great post. Hope you were happy with how it turned out. I know the invitations were super cute.

Anonymous said...

You always say your huge but you look so cute. And I'm not just saying that so you'll stop saying you're huge. I know how the food thing is-I would go to eat something and then it wouldn't sound good anymore.. hang in there! :)

Eric and Justine said...

Im having the same awkward how to tell people in the ward too. Last week when I was teaching my sunday school class(12-13yr olds) I finally told them. Then a couple days later my husband was at mutual and the girls went up to him infront of all the leaders and said, "So we heard you are going to be a dad?!" HAHAHA
Im also almost always skipping Relief Society because I get so hungry or have been sick so I go home, thus I havnt been in a while. It's gonna be weird to show up with my belly now. Do I say something during 'good news minute' or just let it be? What's going to happen at the ward Christmas party?! So awkward!
Anyway,
You are looking cute! It's fun to see comparison of #1 and #2.

Eric and Justine said...

ps. I really like your new family picture. Its really cute!

Ben, Tana, B.A., and Dirk said...

Your belly is really small and cute. I have an old wives remedy for heartburn that was a life saver for me, if you want to give it a shot just let me know.