Thursday, September 09, 2010

Monumental

It all started with Charlotte's Web. I was in about third grade and so excited to read a book that was not assigned in school. My mom told me this book made her cry when she was little, so I decided to give it a try. I only made it halfway through. I was interested, but for some reason, I put the book down and walked away. Never to return to it again.

I have done the same thing with countless other books. In fact, I successfully passed Honors English without reading one book in its entirety. My sister, who is an avid reader, loved to joke about the fact that I was incapable of finishing a book. I tried several times to love reading, but I felt like it was a waste of time even if I did find the books interesting.

College came and that was four years of skimming many textbooks. I think my reading skills drastically improved from reading all the textbooks forced upon me. However, when I had free time, the very last thing I ever wanted to do was read.

So I graduated. And I kept hearing all this talk about libraries, books, keeping my mind active. I decided to give reading another shot. I started with The Scarlet Pimpernel - a book I was supposed to read in 8th grade. I loved it! Then came Mutant Message Down Under. I was intrigued! I started The Hunger Games and found myself aching for sleep but actually unable to put the book down. Who is this girl I've become?!?

But the moment I knew I was truly converted to reading was today at 8:03. I realized I was in book limbo. I just finished The Hunger Games and I had nothing waiting to be cracked open next. I glanced at the clock and thought, "Dang. I bet the library's already closed." After some quick internet research I found it didn't close until 9:00. Before I knew it I was out the door on a mad dash to the library.

I pulled up to the library and I think my heart skipped a beat. My new love. I walked inside the book sanctuary and sighed at the now familiar smell of worn pages. I quickly walked over to the Young Adult section. (My mom makes fun of me because I haven't matured to the adult books yet, but one step at a time.) I was so proud I was able to find my book in less than a minute. I checked the book out and handed over my library card. Yes. I said it. My name is Sarah Excell, I own a library card, and I can finally finish a book!

5 comments:

Klarissa said...

Glad to see you have grown up and have progressed to the young adult section:) I love libraries, especially the location closest to my house in Chinatown. I never understand anything anyone is saying or any signs posted but I find my good book/DVD and walk out with a smile on my face. I love free knowledge and entertainment!
ps - I love Hunger Games too!

Kim said...

My baby girl has finally grown up!!

I can't believe that after all those hours you spent in the library with me since you were a baby and after all those hours of me reading you library books during bedtime snack that you weren't hooked on reading. It takes some people a little longer than others to catch on to things and I'm glad you have finally caught on.

Now it looks like you can participate in Dallas's idea of a family book group.

Glen said...

Sarah,

Haven't you heard??

Reading is FUNdamental.

Laura said...

Now that you like to read you should get on Goodreads.com (Tana, mom and grandma are on there too) and we can compare books. You liked Mutant Message? I thought it was psycho. Happy Reading!

TwinsFanB said...

Hi! I just was clicking the "Next Blog" button on top and came across your blog! I am the same exact way with books, and I'm finally getting better about finishing them! I absolutely love reading, but I just never make the time to finish books! I don't know what's wrong with me, but now that I'm starting to read more, I find it easier to gain inspiration to make blog posts!

Just thought I'd stop by and let you know that I read! Please check out mine as well! Thanks a ton! Have a wonderful day!