Wednesday, September 29, 2010

A Baby's Sixth Sense


Eli just woke up from his nap because he had a hefty burp that was interfering with his comfort. I burped him and sat in our rocking chair to try and put him back to sleep. Within seconds of sitting down, his little arms and legs began flailing followed by a scream Mary Murphy would be proud of. I tried rocking him to soothe his 4-month old troubles, but his rage only grew with each sway.

I stood up and peace fell on our apartment. Eli instantly melted into my arms, his red cheeks faded and his blinks got longer. I walked around our apartment until his eyes shut. Then I thought, "Oh, I rarely hold Eli while he's sleeping. I just want to hold him for a little bit." So I made my way back to the rocking chair.

Before sitting down, I realized the risk I was taking. At church I am often found in the back of the chapel pacing Eli to sleep. When I try to sit back down with Jeff, Eli will not allow it. He always knows when I sit down and he always throws a fit about it.

As I stood in front of the rocking chair, I was preparing to outsmart Eli. I swayed front to back in rocking chair fashion. Eli showed no movement. I gracefully lowered myself to a seated position while synchronizing my sways with the rocking chair sways. Just as I was getting ready to pat myself on the back for a job well done, my little rascal popped an eye open. And screamed.

2 comments:

jlthomas said...

I hate that. I still don't understand how they know.

David and Mary said...

Oh Eli... he is a funny guy, he likes to outsmart his mom!