Friday, September 17, 2010

Stories of Jeff Excell - Sacrament Meeting Distraction

I was in a ward my freshman year of college that had at least seven girls to every guy. They actually had to pull boys from outside our ward boundaries just so we had enough Priesthood holders. That ward led me to believe men should be added to the endangered species list. When one of those endangered species would venture out of his natural habitat to sit with a group of girls, it was a big deal. Me and my roommates never had the honor of sitting next to a real-life college boy our freshman year. Instead, we jealously watched our fellow lady ward members woo the select boys while we dreamed of a more fruitful future for our love life.

As you are probably starting to suspect, Leslie was a big part of the blooming of my relationship with Jeff Excell. Leslie loved boys. Boys loved Leslie. She is fun to be around and easy to talk to so people are drawn to her. If she would have been in our ward freshman year, I am certain she would have been involved in one of the groups of girls every other group of girls was jealous of because it's highly likely she would have had the attention of every boy.

So when Jeff Excell walked into Sacrament Meeting one Sunday and sat next to Leslie, who was sitting next to Breanne, who was sitting next to Kenz, who was sitting next to me, I stared in awe. I looked around. I saw the familiar looks on several of the boyless groups of girls. I couldn't believe Leslie's bond with Jeff Excell had finally made me be one of those girls sitting with one of the select college boy species.

Because my sophomore year ward was not near as boy-deprived, the groups of girls really weren't watching in a jealous rage like I imagined. Looking back, I realize people were probably watching with eager eyes because sophomore year ward was all about the juice. Any new ward hookups were frequent topics of Ward Counsel. The Bishop thrived in singles wards because he loved hearing all the details of ward love connections. The Bishop's love for juice on ward romances carried through to the ward members so everyone was especially aware of who sat next to who in church - ready to report to our Matchmaker Bishop who would be next down the aisle.

I guess all the eyes on me made me feel pressured to bear my testimony on that Fast Sunday when Jeff sat next to us for the first time. The First Presidency of the church had recently changed and I said something about them. Then I was scared I said the wrong thing so when I got back to my seat I asked Jeff if what I said was right. I also asked Leslie if my voice was really low. I was quite a self-conscious college student. They both assured me everything I said was fine and that I didn't sound too much like a man.

Halfway through the meeting I saw Jeff passing notes with Leslie and Breanne. Then a note came my way. I was surprised. Not only did I have the honor of being a part of the group of girls sitting next to a boy in Sacrament Meeting, that boy was even paying attention to me. This was a fruitful dream come true.

Now, it just so happens that Jeff was searching through the pockets of one of his suit jackets this week and found the very note he wrote me on that Sunday. (Can you tell we don't get his suits dry cleaned very often?) I have scanned it into my computer for your enjoyment.


I feel it necessary to note that Jeff is the one who drew that heart around his name with an arrow through it. It is also important for me to note that I have yet to discover my crush on Jeff Excell at this point in our story. Jeff was just a fun guy who was slowly weaseling his way into our lives one Sacrament Meeting at a time. Although we were oblivious to it, ward suspicion of a romance between Jeff Excell and one of the girls from Stadium Way 49 began to arise.

5 comments:

LC said...

hahaha! Oh my! I love that you have one of those infamous Jeff Excell notes/drawings! That is so so good! and I completely remember this sunday! I am loving re-living these things. You are such a good writer, Sar. It's like reading a really witty book on your blog! I also love being a character in this very true story! So fun!

skinners said...

i LOVE reading this! you guys are so cute and its fun to read about how it all happened.

Rebecca said...

So, you didn't have a crush on him yet, but when did HE start having a crush on YOU?

David and Mary said...

Jeff Loves to write notes and draw in church... I am so thankful he didn't draw you a toilet! That is his favorite thing to draw in church. I didn't approve of this of course, but for some reason he thought it was so funny :) I like the heart Jeff.

Anonymous said...

Brad and I really love that picture! hahaha

Good thing you weren't offended :)