Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Eli's Antics

Remember when Eli was a sweet, innocent, precious, perfect little newborn baby?
Yeah. Neither do I.

Eli is more or less crazy these days. His latest obsession? Socks. My mom once called me "one of THOSE moms." You know. The kind of mom that doesn't put a jacket on her baby in the winter. The mom who forgets blankets, burp cloths and an extra set of clothes. The dreaded mother who doesn't put socks on her neglected baby's feet. 

But the truth is, I have a daily battle going on with Eli and his socks. I put them on. He rips them off. I try to outsmart him and put shoes over the socks, but he ends up outsmarting me and rips both off before I've even finished putting them on.

He even tries to rip other babies' socks off if he notices them.

He either loves a bare foot or my theory is he thinks socks are the best toy in the world. His favorite game is to grab a sock and then he heads straight for the stairs to throw the sock down them. I think he's testing to see what would happen to him if he threw himself down the stairs. Luckily he's only experimented with the socks.

And yes, I realize this picture only supports my mother's fears that I am, in fact, one of THOSE mothers because Eli is clothesless, blanketless and sockless. And no, I don't have a good explanation as to why he is clothesless and blanketless. We're dealing with my mothering issues one accessory at a time. Hmm...maybe I could start by viewing clothes and blankets as more than just "accessories?"
Anyway, enough about the socks and my bad mothering, onto more Eli:

We aren't sure exactly what goes on in his room after we say goodnight to him, but we usually have something cute to smile at when we go in to check on him.
He has recently begun an annoying stage -- throwing all his unwanted (and sometimes even wanted) food over the edge. It's not all bad though. If I leave the scraps on the floor long enough, he usually finds his way back to them for an afternoon snack.
I was sad after I tried to get Eli to sit in the grass a few weeks ago and it didn't go over too well. Turns out he likes the grass better when he has pants on. I guess I can't really blame him.
Future Farmer of America.
He's learning something new every day. He's looking more like a mischievous little boy and less like an innocent little baby.
Even with all his antics, I can't imagine spending my days without him.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

so cute... I'm sure he'll keep winning the sock battle.. at least that's how it seems to go :)

Kim said...

Love the picture of the sock in Eli's mouth. I've watched him play the throw-the-sock-down-the stairs game.

I'm so glad you're THAT kind of mother, Sarah--the one that is so happy she's a mother and the one that absolutely adores her baby boy, despite his silly antics. I'll never tire of you being THAT kind of mother.

The Chappells said...

ha ha! I love it. Reagan is 4 months now and he is figuring out how to get his socks off too!

jlthomas said...

Eli and Logan are going to get along nicely.

LC said...

this is was a very funny post, full of things i liked, but the ending picture of you giving eli a kiss leaves me with only one thought... and it's of you, a couple weeks after eli was born, sturggling to kiss him for a photo. look how far you've both come.

The Stevens Family said...

It's okay to be 'one of those moms!' haha! I had a friend who didn't recognize Dawson at his own B-day party because he had clothes on. lol! Eli is SO cute! Mischevious little boys are the best- you laugh at them now, and then you get to laugh more when they get one just like them. haha!